Spectrios Institute for Low Vision, located in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL, is seeking a part time Optometrist to join our team. Spectrios Institute for Low Vision is a nationally recognized non-profit organization specializing in low vision rehabilitation. Our mission is to empower children and adults with vision loss to optimize their visual capabilities and independence through the use of prescriptive tools, technology, rehabilitative training, and inspiration. Through our life-changing programs and services, we ensure that individuals, regardless of income, have equal access to the support they need. At Spectrios, we take a collaborative team approach to help our patients meet their individual goals. When other doctors say nothing else can be done, we are just getting started.
Our ideal candidate is a motivated and caring optometrist with a passion for empowering people with vision impairment to achieve goals for independence. Spectrios Institute for Low Vision is looking for a part-time optometrist to join our team 2-3 days per week. This part-time position has the potential to evolve into a full-time role based on performance and company needs.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Professional Growth: Gain valuable experience in comprehensive low vision exams while working alongside an experienced team in an established and highly regarded practice.
- Collaborative Environment: Join a passionate team that is dedicated to making a measurable impact on the daily lives of our patients.
- Cutting-edge Technology: Access to advanced equipment such as Eidon AF TrueColor confocal scanner, Octopus 900 perimeter, traditional Goldmann perimeter, and more.
- Workplace Autonomy: Enjoy regular office hours with no weekends, evenings, or on-call duties. Our flexible scheduling empowers you to choose the days that best suit your work preferences, ensuring an ideal work-life balance.
- Conduct comprehensive low vision exams.
- On an average day, see 4-6 patients.
- Educate patients on their diagnosis.
- Prescribe corrective lenses and low vision tools to aid the patient in achieving their visual goals.
- Collaborate with occupational therapy and access technology specialists.
- Maintain communication with referring optometrists or ophthalmologists.
- Participation in the Seeing is Believing children’s program during the academic year, which involves providing pediatric low vision exams and vision services directly within schools
- Complete requested reports such as Vision Specialist Report, school or work accommodations, and others.
- Preferred: Completion of low vision residency training. Candidates with residency training in ocular disease or relevant experience working with low vision will be strongly considered. New graduates with a strong interest in low vision are also welcome to apply.
- Valid Illinois state license to practice optometry.
- Strong communication skills to effectively interact with patients and colleagues.
- Genuine interest in the treatment of low vision.
- Some travel required for the Seeing is Believing children’s program.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- 401(k) plan with matching contributions for both part-time and full-time employees.
- Health and dental benefits for full-time employees.
- 501(c)(3) qualification for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for full-time employees.
Join our dedicated team and make a significant impact on the lives of individuals with vision loss. To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and professional references to WilliamsS@spectrios.org. Spectrios Institute for Low Vision is an equal opportunity employer.