Spectrios Institute’s nationally recognized team of low vision doctors and professionals is excited to announce that we will be offering telehealth services. This is a great way for you to consult with our highly trained low vision doctors without leaving your home. We will provide you with a modified range of services, but you can expect the same quality and guidance as you would experience in the office.
Dr. Williams talks about telehealth
What is telehealth?
- Telehealth is a virtual visit with your provider. You do not need to be physically in the clinic with your provider. Rather, you can be in your own home and talk over video chat with your provider in order to address health concerns you would normally have in a clinic visit.
What telehealth services does Spectrios Institute for Low Vision offer?
- Low vision rehabilitation evaluations by our trained optometrists
- Training with our occupational therapist and access technology specialists
What do I need to have at home for a virtual telehealth visit?
- You need to have a computer, tablet or smartphone that has both a camera and a microphone.
- You will need internet access or data service on your smartphone with a strong enough signal to conduct a video chat.
- Depending on the device you are using, you may need to download an app to your device prior to the visit.
What do I need to do prior to my virtual visit?
In order to have a streamlined and successful virtual visit, Spectrios recommends you:
- Ensure that you have the link provided by Spectrios and have downloaded any necessary software. We also recommend testing the link to ensure that you are comfortable getting to the video platform.
- Complete your virtual check-in – a representative from Spectrios will call you 30-60 minutes prior to your appointment. If you do not hear from someone 30 minutes before please call 630-690-7115 to check in.
- Spectrios telehealth diagnostic kit will be mailed to patient prior to visit. Make sure to have Spectrios telehealth diagnostic kit by your side
- We strongly recommend having a coach available to be an extra set of ears to ensure you get the most out of your visit.
Will I have to pay for a virtual visit?
Many insurance companies have unique coverage for telehealth visits. Medicare covers telehealth visits at this time, and others are following the guideline of Medicare but patients need to confirm with their providers.
Check with your insurance provider to confirm how your plan is covering these types of visits.
At this time Occupational Therapy appointments are not covered. Be sure and check back in case that changes!
Are there certain video applications that Spectrios uses for video visits?
- Spectrios is conducting video visits using an encrypted version of Google Meet and each patient will have a unique appointment link. You will receive an email with your link shortly after you schedule your appointment.
- Spectrios does NOT use Facebook Live, Twitch, TikTok or similar video communication applications that are public facing for video visits.
What if I need help?
If you have questions about our telehealth program or how to access it, please give us a call. We are here to help you take advantage of the telehealth service. You can reach us at 630-690-7115.
We have created this step by step guide to help you use Google Meet. Please download it here.
How-To Access Telehealth Services