In the past couple month we have all been using technology in new ways: to connect with our family and friends, learn a new skill, and just to pass the time. We have curated a list of YouTube channels, Facebook groups, websites, and podcasts that support the low vision community. We hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
- Spectrios Institute for Low Vision. We have created a series of videos on a variety of topics that are of interest to the low vision community. You can read more about Spectrios Hollywood in this issue.
- Goldie Shaw, The Low Vision Chef. Goldie teaches cooking shows using techniques and tools that make it easy to stop buying take out and prepared foods. Her Salad Party episode is a can’t miss.
- The Blind Life. Hosted by Sam, a tech specialist with low vision, who reviews access technology products. We will let you in on a little secret, the Spectrios Team watches his videos regularly to get the inside scoop on how access technology products work in real life. (If one of the products sparks an interest, give us a call we can help you out.)
There are a number of Facebook groups focused on Low Vision. We like the following groups: Low Vision, Blind Abilities (they have a podcast too), and Assistive Technology Community for Blind and Visually Impaired.
hadley.edu. The Hadley School posts educational tech videos and hosts low vision call-in support groups if you’re looking to connect. (Spectrios has one 2 times a month as well.)
- Blind Like Me. This podcast is hosted by Tim Black. He interviews people with low vision, reviews tech and offers other relevant information. It is a great listen.
- Blind Abilities. Blind Tech Show. Blind Abilities College. This series of podcasts covers all things low vision. You can access all their podcasts at BlindAbilities.com.
If you have any questions or need help with anything tech-related, please call Chris at 630-690-7115.