As we continue to be unable to see patients in the House of Hope, we are launching specialized low vision telehealth. We want our family – patients – to continue to be able to access the great services and care they are accustom to, so we are going to be offering appointments via video conference.
What is telehealth?
- Telehealth is a virtual visit with your provider. You do not need to be physically in the clinic with your provider. Rather, you can be in your own home and talk over the telephone or video chat with your provider in order to address health concerns you would normally have in a clinic visit.
- Telehealth is the preferred way to be treated by your provider at this time due to the COVID-19 outbreak, so as not to spread illnesses to others. Once talking to your provider, they can give you the proper care plan.
What telehealth services is Spectrios Institute for Low Vision offering during the COVID-19 outbreak?
- Low vision rehabilitation evaluations by our trained optometrists
- Training with our occupational therapist and access technology specialists
Will I have to pay for a virtual visit?
Many insurance companies have unique coverage for telehealth visits during the COVID-19 outbreak. Medicare covers telehealth visits and many others are following the guideline of Medicare but patients need to confirm with their providers. Check with your insurance provider to confirm how your plan is covering these types of visits.
What do I need to have at home to have a video visit?
- You need to have a computer, tablet or smartphone that has both a camera and a microphone.
- You will need internet access or data service on your smartphone with a strong enough signal to conduct a video chat.
- Depending on the device you are using, you may need to download an app to your device prior to the visit.
We will be reaching out to patients who have scheduled appointments during this time to offer telehealth. If you would like a telehealth appointment, give us a call at 630-690-7115 to set up a time to meet with our specially trained low vision doctors and specialists.